Thoughts on Owning a Business by Cynthia Allen of Carytown Optical Shoppe

I am asked, often, if I like owning my own business.   I am asked for advice by some, usually younger, hopeful entrepreneurs and my answer is this:

 If you are counting your hours then don't open your own business but if you have a love of people and a true passion for what you are building and presenting then you will be successful.
People want authenticity. They seek it out or they may stumble upon it but when found, recognize its vibe.
When you and what you are giving are the source of that authenticity they will keep coming back..
Customers will desire what you have to give when you stay true, honest, authentic and fair ( always) seemingly against all odds in the business world of mediocrity

Do I like owning my own business?   Yesss.    It is creative.   It is fun.  It is "You" my customers.  It is real and it provides spice to my city.  It is hard work and challenging and I love it.   I was in my twenties when I began here and I still enjoy each day I am here with all of the ups and downs, with a fire and a rebuild.  With a changing world around me  I've managed to change with it and still stay true to my vision.

Thank you Richmond for loving us.

Cynthia
Carytown Optical Shoppe
carytownoptical@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts